Have you ever played against an opponent or seen any good player playing all the wonderful shots. Do you ever wonder how easily player is able to hit a ball having a huge amount of backspin in it and attacks a ball which is played very close to the net or standing away from table playing the shot over shot? I bet you must have seen at least one such player, you might have been amazed by seeing the game and you might have also applauded on several occasions. Believe me, Table Tennis is one such game which provides so much of thrill and amusement when played or observed at the best level. In this blog, I will explain details about a couple of techniques called DRIVE and LOOP which make all such amazing things possible in this game. Together they are commonly known as TOP SPIN like CUT and PUSH they may look very similar but technically they are very different. These are two such techniques which have to be mastered upon for being categorized as a good Table Tennis player. These are advanced skills unlike CUT and PUSH and these skills do not come naturally to any player. One has to first understand technicalities behind them and then practice them in a right way to learn. DRIVE and LOOP are great skills to learn and to have in your armory once you master these skills you are pretty much done to be qualified as a good Table Tennis player. Moreover, understanding these techniques will change entire approach of your game, you will know exactly when to attack, how to attack and when to defend. Let’s understand these skills now:
For winning points, one must play attacking shots for outplaying an opponent by scoring absolute winners. Most common mode of attack used by players is TOP SPIN, you can find attacking players playing this shot a lot in their game. DRIVE is one of the variants of TOP SPIN and below video depicts how to play it. Well, the video depicts how to play this shot very well but I want to emphasize over here on technique, style, and few important points to understand and keep in your mind:
- In DRIVE ball tends to move forward with a less amount of revolutions or TOP SPIN in it but moves at high speed and after hitting the table rushes aways from the table.
- For playing this shot closely look at the hand movement. It should start right from your knee and should go all the way up to your forehead.
- Look at the stance body should be slightly bent with the body leaning forward. The bat should be around arm’s length away from your body. Getting your stance and action right is key.
- Starting from your knee bat face should be in a closed position until you end your shot. Make sure to rub the ball at high speed while making a contact with it.
- The most important point is you should be very careful about height at which you want to contact the ball. Generally, you should make a contact with a ball when it is at its peak height. This will give you best result.
- DRIVE should be played against balls such as PUSH, COUNTER, LOOP or DRIVE itself. Never try to play DRIVE on CUT you will end up hitting it on the net.
Another variant of TOP SPIN which many players fail to understand and differentiate with DRIVE is known as LOOP. This is one such shot which sets up point for you and gives you much needed time which is required before playing next attacking shot DRIVE or KILL. Please follow the video to learn how to play the drive and please go through some of the important points which will help you in understanding the difference between DRIVE and LOOP:
- In LOOP ball tends to move forward with a high amount of revolutions than DRIVE but at much lower speed and after hitting the table it bounces high.
- For playing this shot closely look at the hand movement. Unlike DRIVE it should start from below your knee and should go all the way up to your forehead. DRIVE ends up somewhere in the middle of your forehead while LOOP ends up at the side of your head.
- Look at the stance body should be slightly bent with the body leaning forward. The bat should be around arm’s length away from your body and unlike DRIVE, your hand should be as relaxed as it could be. Even your bat grip should not be stiff.
- Starting below your knee bat face should be in a little less closed position than DRIVE and you should maintain this angle until you end your shot. Make sure to gently rub the ball while contacting the ball.
- The most important point is you should be very careful about height at which you want to contact the ball. Generally, you should make a contact with a ball when it is little below its peak height. This will give you best result.
- LOOP should be always played against the CUT ball which has a heavy backspin in it. For playing loop successfully you have to apply very little effort as if you are picking up the ball and putting it back on the table. Since ball already has a high amount of backspin and you have to make effective use of that backspin while returning the ball using LOOP.
Hopefully, you would have got the concept and technique for playing DRIVE and LOOP shots and also you might have understood difference between two of them. I can assure you now when you will go back to play you will find yourself in a much better position than you might have been before. If you have any queries or doubts with regards these or any techniques feel free to CONTACT US or leave a comment.
For more interesting stories, tips and techniques with regards to sports please subscribe us: